To place HIV(+) orphans currently living in institutions into family type of care (adoption, guardianship, foster families) that appropriately responds to their development needs in a loving, family setting
This target will be achieved through the following activities :
At the national level:
• Collaboration on a regular basis with specialized state authorities: the State Social Service for Families, Children and Youth, and the State Department of Adoption and Protection of Children's Rights of the Ministry of Family, Children and Youth.
• Holding thematic training sessions for social workers and psychologists (members of regional project teams) in order to improve their professional skills in relation to the placing of children in families in Ukraine.
At the regional level:
• Searching for potential adoptive/foster parents/guardians/trustees.
• Participation in holding studies on the training of candidates for foster parents in collaboration with social service centres for families, children and youth.
• Individual and family consultations by a social worker/psychologist while training for adoption/guardianship creation of foster families.
• Conducting own mini-training sessions for potential adoptive/foster parents, guardians, and trustees on the points of taking care of children affected by HIV / AIDS.
• Training children who are in residential state care for placement in families.
• Conducting information meetings with the staff of state care institutions in order to raise their awareness of HIV / AIDS and to form tolerance towards HIV-positive children.
• Provision of social and psychological support to families after adoption of a child:
- Consultations with a social worker/psychologist;
- Legal counselling;
- Client patronage by social worker/psychologist at home;
- Leading/Creating self-support groups for the new families;
- Provision of Information ;
- Involving the new families, if necessary, in studies at "Parenting Schools";
• Participation of regional project teams in the studies on (preparing) a child for placement in a family and social support to new families